We’re in the midst of Hollywood award season and I don’t know about y’all, but taking in the range of red carpet style – from the daring Grammys to the glamourous Oscars – always makes me yearn for a moment to get dolled up, too.
If you’re like me and in (or can get to) Toronto on February 25th, get your fashion fix at the Black Diamond Ball at the Fairmont Royal York, put on by ArtXperiential Projects and TD!
Now in its second year, the Black Diamond Ball has become one of the most anticipated Black History Month events in Toronto. Among all the planned entertainment for the evening will be performances from Glenn Lewis, Michie Mee, Divine Brown, Vita Chambers, Simone Denny, and the one and only Brandy! Tickets are going fast but still available at via their website, so get yours before they’re gone!
Once you’ve snagged your ticket, you might be thinking about the inevitable: What do I wear??? Well, I’m here to help! Let’s take some style inspiration from recent red carpet looks, then follow up with some tips from Toronto-based stylist Megan Hamilton of MKH Styling!
Megan Hamilton is the founder of MKH Styling, where her aim is to not only make people look good, but feel good too. Full disclosure – she’s also my sister, so I’ve been able to utilize her services, and she came THROUGH when I was pregnant with Little Magician! Here are some quick tips from her on putting your best foot forward for the Black Diamond Ball:
- If you’re not comfortable in a dress, a pantsuit or jumpsuit can be an equally fabulous option for a gala affair.
- Trying to think of a cool accessory? Don’t forget your nails! Nail colour and/or design can be the perfect touch to your outfit.
- Rocking a suit? A statement sock with a bright colour or print can set your entire look off in a memorable way.
- If you’re wearing any kind of sheer item, remember the importance of nude undergarments. For women of colour, check out lines like Canada’s own Love & Nudes to match your foundation pieces as closely as possible.
- For suits especially, don’t leave the house until your clothing is properly pressed or steamed! There’s nothing worse than being on the red carpet in a wrinkled outfit!
So, there you have it! Some inspiration and some helpful hints to get you ready for the Black Diamond Ball! Have fun, and stay fly!
*Disclosure: this was a sponsored post in partnership with the Black Diamond Ball.